WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Interview with Adrienne of Some of a Kind


Adrienne has been swapping for about a year now and has hosted her very first swap, the Thankful Things Swap. I love seeing so many new hostesses! It tells me they've heard how fun it is and just couldn't resist! Adrienne's blog, Some of a Kind, contains lovely posts and pictures of projects, swaps and her kids. She's big into aprons, has a great tutorial for a super-cute belt and I love this gift idea! Let's learn more about her swapping style!

Swapdex: Tell me a bit about you.

A: I am a stay at home mom of two very busy boys ( 4 1/2 and 2). We live in a beautiful part of Virginia (I'm biased ... I think all of Va is beautiful). Getting ready to celebrate 7 years of marriage. Just turned 36 this year ... my hair dresser is trying to convince me to start coloring my hair! I just can't seem to go there (not that it's a bad thing ... I just already have too many things to keep up with already!). I love to sew and am learning to crochet. I had about a year long stint of trying to knit. Two very wonky washcloths later and a half finished scarf I decided to give crocheting a go; two washcloths and a completed scarf within 2 weeks ... I'm lovin' it.

SD: How did you learn about swapping, and what made you decide to do your first one?

A: I would read about swaps on other blogs but usually after it was said and done. My first swap was Sew Liberated's Holiday Traditions. It just seemed so much fun and I wanted in on the action. Meeting someone new and (hopefully) making their day with some goodies seemed worth it. Not to mention the surprise of what you might receive. It was so much fun. Next was the Sassy Apron Swap ... I was hooked. Been swapping ever since.

SD: What's your favorite type of swap or favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

A: I love apron swaps! A few others that I've participated in were themed but had a spending limit (like no more than $10) - those make you get really creative and I like that. I also like the swaps that you don't know your partner - It's such a big surprise when you receive your goodies and find out who they are from!

SD: Do you have a signature style for your swaps? Do you decorate your envelopes/packages?

A: If I am able (depending on the package) I try to wrap or put a pretty ribbon on what I am sending. Send a card with a personal note? I always send some type of note - usually explaining my thought process on what/why I chose/made what I did. Sometimes I type it up - sometimes I hand write it ... unfortunately my penmanship leaves quite a bit to be desired so if it's lengthy, I usually type it so the poor soul can read it!

SD: Do you credit anyone with inspiring you on your swapping or crafting journey?

A: Most certainly! My blogging / swapping journey all began because of Kris of http://www.monkeyfootdesigns.com/. I had ordered some of her fabulous belts (always get compliments when wearing them) and I started reading her blog. She inspired me to dust off my sewing machine and get back to doing what I enjoyed (after about a 10 year hiatus). Two years later she continues to be a great friend (even though we've never met) and resource for fabric and sewing tips.

SD: What's you favorite type of package to get in the mail?

A: ANY!

SD: Do you have a good story about hosting or participating in a swap?

A: I have been one of those lucky swappers - every package I've received was obviously put together with a lot of thought and care. I did participate in a $10 swap and got the most amazing fabric - I've made a skirt (shown below) and few other things from it. Each item (purse, apron, etc) that I have received from a swap makes me smile when I see it - a complete stranger took time for me - now that makes you feel warm and fuzzy!

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap?

A: Keeping organized. It's amazing how much information goes out and comes in ... keeping it all straight and communication to everyone is a big task. Kuddos to you 50 + participant swap hostess!

SD: Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

A: Start a spreadsheet right away. List name, blog, email, address (if you are collecting that), who their partner is, and any other info relevant to the swap (ie: apron size, favorite colors, etc.). Have people respond back to you so that you know they received your email and when they do, mark that on the spreadsheet - same with when they received their package.

SD: Any plans for the near future? Swaps, projects, new products?

A: I am participating in a few swaps this holiday season so I probably won't sign up for anymore until the January blahs hit. I do have a dream of opening an online shop - aprons, kids clothing, small pocket books ... I just have to find the time to get organized and mass produce unique items!

Excellent interview! Thanks so much to Adrienne, be sure and visit her blog and leave her some love!

No comments: