WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Friday, February 20, 2009

Interview with Donna of Flutterings of the Soul

After a bad first experience, not many would be surprised if Donna decided swapping was a bad idea, but she kept on swapping, even hosting a swap of her own last year! Visit her at her blog to see swap pictures and great holiday decorating ideas.

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Donna: I am 38 (yikes- lol!) and live in Pennsylvania. I have been married for 12 years , 1 daughter , 2 crazy cats and 2 silly chihuahuas :)
I love any type of mixed media craft such as scrapbooking, journaling, ATC's, fat books, collage ..I would actually love to learn to sew and felt!

SD: How long have you been swapping?

D: I have been participating in swaps for the last 3 years - usually holiday related swaps.

SD: How did you learn about swapping, and what made you decide to do your first one? Do you remember your first one?

D: I had learned about swapping from an artists blog a few years ago and it sounded like a lot of fun - creating and making things and getting a fun filled box of goodies in return ! My first swap was the Snowman Swap that I just recently hosted. It was definitely fun and I can't wait to host the next one!

SD: Do you swap with any groups?


D: I have never swapped with any groups before , only through artist blogs. I think I like the open environment much more so than I would an exclusive one since it gives everyone that is interested in playing a chance to join it.

SD: What's your favorite type of swap or favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

D: Holiday swaps are definitely my favorite! So far my favorite swap has been the Snowflakes and Sparkle swap that I participated in recently .

SD: Do you have a signature style for your swaps?

D: I don't normally have a signature style for my swaps - whatever is inspiring me at the moment , or if I see a really cool idea in one of the many magazines I admire that sparks my creative muse then I'll run with it ! I have decorated my boxes in the past, but not everyone of them . If I have some cool stamps that I can incorporate into the theme or some unique embellishments then I will use those on the box as well as some acrylic paints, tags, etc.
I do always wrap the gifties that go inside with pretty tissue papers and I also like to use ribbons and tags as well.

SD: What's you favorite type of package to get in the mail?

D: My favorite package would have to be anything handmade - it really gives you a warm and cozy feeling to know that the person that sent you that package spent their time and energy in creating something from the heart ... just for you !

SD: Do you have a good story about hosting or participating in a swap?

D: The only odd swap I can remember would be one that I participated in when I first started swapping. I honestly don't remember what theme the swap had but what I rec'd were items that had all been used, somewhat dirty and they didn't smell very good either ! Of course I was disappointed but I didn't let that experience stop me from swapping again . Thankfully I have never had that happen again!

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap?

D: I think it is most challenging for the hostess to make sure that everyone who participates really does receive a package . It certainly is disheartening when you have taken the time to put a wonderful package together only to never receive one in return. I like to try to stay on top of things and make sure that everyone has rec'd their swap within a timely manner.

SD: Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

D: Since I am new on the hosting end of swapping the only advice I have at the moment is to stay organized ! Be sure to keep a list of all your participants and who they are partnered up with. It helps to make a separate "e-mail group" with just the participants included so that you can contact everyone at the same time when needed.

Thanks Donna for taking the time to chat!

No comments: