WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Interview with Jeanne of The Candy Corn Chronicles

Lets meet Jeanne, a well-traveled artist and writer of the blog The Candy Corn Chronicles. She's a member of the Prim and Whimsy Girls, a collective for primitive & whimsical artists. Visit her Etsy shop for fairy doors and handmade seasonal decorations.

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Jeanne: I have three grown children and 4 precious grand daughters. I was born and raised in Colorado but have lived in many places throughout my life - from Alaska to Louisiana. My Husband and I have now settled in the Ouachita Mountains of west-central Arkansas. I have found that my travels are a great source of inspiration for my creations. I began crafting when I was very young. I can remember sitting and watching my Mother make things when I was very little. I like to try any craft at least once (how else can a person find out what they are good at?) I have tried everything from welding to weaving to painting. But I really enjoy three dimensional work and have recently gotten into sculpting with paper clay.

SD: How long have you been swapping?

J:Less than a year

SD: How did you learn about swapping, and what made you decide to do your first one? Do you remember your first one?

J: I found out about swapping from a friend's blog. It was a Halloween Swap and of course, I had to do it! I just love Halloween!

SD: Do you swap with any groups? (Swap-bot, yahoo groups, flickr groups, etc.)

J: I enjoy the open swap ~ more of an element of surprise. But you get to meet so many wonderful people no matter what kind of swap!

SD: What's your favorite type of swap or favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

J: I prefer to swap handmade items rather than 'goodies'. I feel it is so much more personal. The personality of the Swapper shines through in the item that has been created.

SD: Do you have a signature style for your swaps? Do you decorate your envelopes/packages? Send a card with a personal note?

J: I most definitely like to send a personal note! I don’t always decorate the mailing box/envelope (don’t trust the rough handling it can receive in transit) but I try to create a storybook feel when the box is opened. I like my Swap partner to get a warm, fuzzy feeling when they peak inside.

SD: What's you favorite type of package to get in the mail?

J: Any package I'm not expecting!

SD: Do you have a good story about hosting or participating in a swap?

J: I had just received a box for a Halloween Swap. When I opened it, a little spider (garden variety) crawled out. I thought that it was very appropriate, since it was Halloween. Spiders don’t bother me and I know this little one was a stow-away.

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap?

J: Making sure no detail was left out and Keeping all the information organized.

SD: Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

J: Be organized! It's so easy to get lost in the sea of names/email addresses. Start a spreadsheet for all participants, Respond to emails promptly, and Sort your information on a regular basis (that way it doesn't become overwhelming). It helps to have a partner. Ideas can be bounced back and forth and should one person forget a detail, the other person can catch it. Sweet B (of *Sweet* B Folk Art) was a 'lifesaver' for me on the PWGL Valentine Swap!. Great graphics for the Blog buttons/badges are a must.

SD: Any plans for the near future?

J: I have a Fairy themed swap coming up. And continuing my adventure into the world of paper clay sculpture.

Thanks for chatting, Jeanne. It was great meeting you!

No comments: