WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Interview with Suzanne of PhatSheep

Suzanne of PhatSheep Textiles, purveyor of fun print fabric and functional products, is quite a crafty gal indeed! See her
recent interview in Sew Hip magazine, check out her blog and shop her Etsy shop for evidence! She has designed several adorable prints like these and it's available for you to buy from her Etsy shop.

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Suzanne: I am in my 30's living with my partner, he's a photographer and our 2 year old son. We live on Shetland, a group of islands off the north coast of Scotland, UK. I have my own textiles design business, I design my own fabrics and also design and make a range of products (bags, purses, homewares, baby toddler accessories)from my workshop in my home.

SD: How long have you been swapping?

S: I've been swapping for over a year now.

SD: How did you learn about swapping, and what made you decide to do your first one? Do you remember your first one?

S: I first discovered swapping via a few blogs that I read and I thought it would be great to give it a go. My first swap was a fabric swap. I thought It would be a great way to add a few new fabrics to my stash. (as if I need anymore fabrics!)

SD: Do you swap with any groups? (Swap-bot, yahoo groups, flickr groups, etc.) If so, what do you like/dislike about an more exclusive swapping environment as opposed to a swap open to anyone?

S: I have swapped through swap-bot and flickr groups as well as via blog's. All of these have been great but I think there is something a bit special about swapping via someones blog, It's like there's a group of you who all found out about it and are all in it together, the updates from the swap host on how its progressing etc. are always really interesting. Flickr swaps are great as you can see loads of photos of what other people send receive.

SD: What's your favorite type of swap or favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

S: My most recent favourite swap was the 3rd annual holiday ornament swap hosted by cake and pie and freshly blended. It was a great idea for a swap and I loved receiving all these parcels in the mail throughout December each one with another decoration to hang on the tree.

SD: Do you have a signature style for your swaps? Do you decorate your envelopes/packages? Send a card with a personal note?

S: I don't know if I have a signature style but I always include a handwritten note or card to the recipient as I think its nice for people to know who sent it and that you have taken the time to write to them.

SD: What's you favorite type of package to get in the mail?

S: Fabric or haberdashery, I love buttons and ribbons and receiving some of them unexpectedly in a swap is a great treat.

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap?

S: Making sure that you match everyone up and don't miss anyone out. Its always a worry that someone doesn't receive a swap parcel, I know how disappointing this can be.

SD: Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

S: Check that there aren't any big swaps on the same theme going on at the
same time. Make sure you are well organised with the admin side of things, making sure you keep a record of all the swap participants. Spread the word about your swap, SwapDex is a good site to let people know about your swap. Enjoy it and have fun with it.

SD: Any plans for the near future? Swaps, projects, new products?

S: I currently hosted a handmade button swap, I thought it would be a fun swap to start off the new year. Business wise I am expanding my fabric sales via my new etsy shop, I'm currently making up some strip rolls and charm packs which I will soon list in my shop and which I hope will be popular, and I am working on some more textile designs for the spring.

No comments: