WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Friday, May 8, 2009

Interview with Becky of Whosies and Whatnots


A swapper after my own heart, Becky dabbles in ANYthing and EVERYthing. A super-cute blog title, wonderful tutorials and great quilting and crafting inspiration, that's what Becky's got for you at her blog Whosies and Whatnots. Learn to make this little guy! And if you're looking for a pattern for a super-cute craft, check out her Etsy shop!


SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Becky: I just turned 36. time flies when you're crafting! married 13 years with 4 kids, 2 fish, 1 cat, 8 chickens and 1 parakeet. I do everything it seems. Real estate, girl scout leader, mom, quilter, crafter, seller, and pattern maker.
I do crochet, quilting, sewing- clothing, dolls, toys, blankets...the list goes on.

SD: How long have you been swapping? How did you first learn about swapping, and what made you decide to start? Do you remember your first one?


B: I have been swapping for awhile. I first started with art postcards a couple of years ago. After my nice collection was large enough I started looking into others. I am thinking that the one that kind of got me hooked would be the miniature doll swap. This challenge took me into a world that has fascinated me ever since. I have dived in and made dolls and now I have a few patterns too.

SD: What is your range of swapping? Do you stick to swaps hosted by people you know or are you likely to swap with anyone, anytime?


B: I have done aprons, books, kid related ones, stuffed dolls, animals, paper, fabric, sheets, owls, birds, mushrooms, secret senders, do-dads, themed. Really, I have joined the swaps that have caught me eye. I know how I am with things and if I sign up for it I do it. I love a bit of a challenge or something that gets me out of my comfort zone. I normally have no idea who these swappers are, but after doing a few i have seen some repeat people which is fun. You get to know their stuff. Which is great. Some of these gals have blogs that i follow and enjoy.

SD: Do you swap with any organized groups like yahoo groups, flickr, groups on swap-bot, other message boards, etc? Why or why not?

B: I started with the yahoo group postcard swap and then when i started a blog i ran into the blog world of swaps. I have not tried swap-bot.....yet. I am happy with the ones i have signed up through SwapDex and currently have no need to look elsewhere. I need to keep my swapping contained too :) sometimes that can be so hard.

SD: What's your favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

B: ooooh, my favorite. I am not sure on this one. I haven't stuck to one area of craft and so they have all been different. I have enjoyed the handmade ones the most though. They are the most thoughtful and I do appreciate a good handmade item. Time and energy and love make a lot of difference.

SD: What do you do to make your packages special?

B: Lately i have been wrapping things in tissue paper with just a bit of string or ribbon around it. Not too fancy but cute. Everyone likes a little bit of cute don't we?

SD: Do you have a good story about hosting or participating in a swap?

B: I loved this last one i did where i sent fabric and embellishments and they had to make a mini quilt using the items. The little quilt i love! I ended up with something I would have never made on my own, but absolutely love it.

SD: Any exciting plans for the near future? Swaps, projects, new products?

B: I would love to host a swap, but haven't decided on anything specific. I am still too jumpy with my excitement and choices.

I am currently hosting a row quilt named "the Cranky Quilt". I have a new doll I am working the pattern up for to sell and also a new hot pad. I also occasionally make up a Quick stitch pattern to add to the group. Boy, i am all over the place aren't i? Currently in my shop I have Quick stitch patterns, a cupcake hot pad pattern, smappy babies and patterns, and a few odds and ends.

SD: Awesome interview, Becky. You are quite an interesting character with fingers in many pots! It was great getting to know you better!

No comments: