WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Friday, July 10, 2009

Interview with Jessica of Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping!


Everyone say hello to Jessica. Her blog, Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping!, has the cutest gosh darn name I've ever heard! She's been swapping for a while now and has hosted too. She has included several links in her answers so be sure and click around for even more fun and pictures! You can take a peak at her Etsy shop and Flickr as well.

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Jessica: My name is Jessica. I'm 26 years old. I've started blogging a little over a year ago, and I love it. I live in Hesperia, California in the high desert- it's not the prettiest place with lots of Joshua trees and plenty of dirt, but it is wonderfully quiet, and the summer evenings are the best. I have been married for 6 years to my husband Jesse. I have 2 children, and one on the way. I have been a stay-at-home-mom for 6 years. Before I was stay-at-home-momming ;), I intended on becoming a therapist. I have a BA in Psychology and minor in English, and hope to further my studies a little later in the future. I love paper crafts. I started scrapbooking about 8 or so years ago. I dabble in altered art here and there. I have tried other types of crafting, as well, but I enjoy paper crafting best.

SD: How long have you been swapping? How did you first learn about swapping, and what made you decide to start? Do you remember your first one?


J: I have been swapping online for a little over a year. I first started swapping at a local scrapbook store. I remember the owner hosting all sorts of swaps: color swaps, tag swaps, brad swaps, scrapbook paper swaps, title topper swaps, ribbon swaps, fiber swaps, etc. I loved the idea of increasing my art stash by swapping my surplus items for items that I didn't have enough of. I believe the first swap I participated in was a library pocket tag swap. They were really darling envelopes. After the owner closed down, I was disappointed because I couldn't swap anymore. Blogging introduced me to online swapping, and I'm addicted!

SD: What is your range of swapping? Do you stick to swaps hosted by people you know or are you likely to swap with anyone, anytime?

J: I like to swap with themes that interest me. If the theme interests me, it doesn't matter who's hosting. If the host of a new swap is a blog I frequent, chances are that I will enjoy her swap theme. If I'm visiting her blog, it's because I already share similar interests. I love to visit Swapdex, and see what new swaps are out there. I love swaps with vintage themes. I also enjoy swaps that involve lots of swappers' artistic abilities (like tag swaps) because I get to see varied forms of creativity.

SD: Do you swap with any organized groups like yahoo groups, flickr, groups on swap-bot, other message boards, etc? Why or why not?


J: I haven't really swapped with organized groups because I have plenty going on in the blog world.

SD: What's your favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

J: My favorite swap was hosted by Heather at Pretty Petals. It was called the Junque in my Trunk Swap. I thought the theme was incredibly clever. We were to fill a a pencil-sized box with all sorts of vintage or artsy goodness (ones that our swap partner would like, of course) and then decorate the box as pretty as possible. This was the first online swap I had ever participated in, and I enjoyed searching for my partner's likes, and I found this adorable little trunk to fill with her likes. I wrote all about it on my blog way back when. You are welcome to look here.

SD: What do you do to make your packages special?

J: I always try to include handmade items in my packages. I prefer handmade over store bought, and I think it adds something personal and unique to the package. I also like to wrap the items that I'm sending or put them in a pretty box of some sort because, after all, the packaging is the first thing that my partner is going to see, and I think it's important to pay attention to the little details.

SD: Do you have a good story about hosting or participating in a swap?

J: I mentioned the Junque in my Trunk swap earlier. For that swap, my partner had sent out my package, and due to a mix-up at the post office, I didn't receive the package, and it wasn't returned to her in the mail. It wasn't her fault at all that I didn't get my package, it was a post office mistake. The box was missing for weeks. She even sent me pictures of what she had sent to me only intensifying my desire for the pretty package. Well, several months past, and my partner contacted me to tell me that she had finally received the package, but had moved and overlooked resending because she obviously had other things that she was dealing with in her life, but that she was going to be sending the package to me. Months later, I received one of the best packages I have ever received. I loved all that she sent me. I think it goes to show that good things come to those who wait. And! That people should really try to be patient when swapping because people do have other things going on, and it's okay!! I haven't had an unpleasant experience swapping. Swapping is supposed to be pleasant.

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap? Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

J: I think it's important to be organized when hosting. Following up with the participants is very important, but challenging. Sometimes people don't respond as quickly as you would like them to because they're busy. I think that if something goes wrong with swap partners or what have you, you can't help but feel responsible for the issue even though you can't control what other people do. I've seen other hostesses threaten flaky participants by posting a "black list" or something on their blog. Again, I think swapping is supposed to be pleasant and if it becomes a burden, there is really no point to swapping. People who swap run the risk of encountering a flaky swapper, but that's life. You can't control people. I guess my advice is have fun. Don't let a few flakes spoil the fun for you or anybody else.

SD: Any exciting plans for the near future? Swaps, projects, new products?

J: I just recently hosted a tag swap: Red, White, and Blue Tag swap. I love this color scheme,and I hope to have a lovely display of tags for 4th of July this year.

SD: Awesome stories, Jessica. Thanks for participating and sharing with us! Let's all go visit her at her blog and leave a comment while you're there!

5 comments:

Le_Vintage said...

Jessica is participating in my current swap and I am so excited to have her join, she's an amazing swapper. and thank you SO much jenna I too was always frustrated trying to find swaps so thank you thank you thank you

Polka Dot Moon said...

I was lucky enough to be paired with Jessica on a swap and she gave me an amazing array of goodies! She is ONE talented lady :)
Denise

Unknown said...

I love Jessica's blog and have been frequenting it for a little over a year! I have enjoyed seeing all of her swaps and pictures. Her enthusiasm for swappin' and scrappin' while those kids are nappin' is contagious!

Great interview! :)

Geralyn Gray said...

Great interview!!! I have some greeting cards and tags by Jessica I was lucky enough to receive in a greeting card swap.

Anonymous said...

I love Jessica! She has a great blog!