WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Interview with Maggie of Magchunk


Maggie is a newbie swapper, still learning the ropes, but she jumped in with both feet by hosting her own swap! Let's meet this adventurous girl! You can visit her at her blog and give her a little shout. (And be sure to check out the awesome new service she's offering!)

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Maggie: I'm 24 and live in the Seattle area. I have a wonderfully sweet boyfriend but no kids or pets right now. I work in non-profit fundraising. My "craft" is writing, but I've recently gotten into sewing and embroidery. I used to do ceramics and miss it terribly.

SD: How long have you been swapping? How did you first learn about swapping, and what made you decide to start? Do you remember your first one?

M: My blogging pal Jill of The Good Life for Less hosted a "simple pleasures" swap that was so fun! There was just a handful of us, but I "met" some new people and found new blogs that I now read daily. I've been thinking of hosting one since then. I like to blog about inspiration and unleashing your creativity, so hosting a craft supply swap sounded cool!

SD: What is your range of swapping? Do you stick to swaps hosted by people you know or are you likely to swap with anyone, anytime?


M: I'm new to swapping, but now that I know about SwapDex I may be more likely to join others. I think it's a great way to get exposure for your blog and to meet cool bloggers.

SD: Do you swap with any organized groups like yahoo groups, flickr, groups on swap-bot, other message boards, etc?

M: Nope, I didn't know about them!

SD: What do you do to make your packages special?

M: For my craft swap I'm trying to stick with a color theme so that each element can be used together if the recipient is inspired to do so. I think it's fun to do some sort of theme or at least bring a sense of cohesiveness to your package (polka dots, for example, or Francophile things)

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap? Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

M: It's challenging to just keep track of all the info coming into your email box. I created an excel file with the participants name, address, country, wanted/not wanted items, and what they thought they might contribute (some didn't include that information). Then it was easier to match them up cause all the information was in one place. You have to be very clear and spell out the guidelines and entry requirements carefully. And consider whether or not to open it to overseas participants (and offer the option to others if they want an overseas partner).

SD: Any exciting plans for the near future? Swaps, projects, new products?

M: I recently launched a service that I call a Custom Virtual Room Makeover. Clients send in photos of their space and what they love/hate/want. Armed with their specified budget and needs, I create a shopping list and moodboard for their new space, explain how to rearrange, paint, etc. For an average-sized room, it's only $50!

SD: That is BRILLIANT! I love that idea! Thanks so much for chatting, Maggie!

No comments: