WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Interview with Kathy of Creative Home Expressions

Let's meet Kathy, a relatively new swapper. She has a business called Creative Home Expressions and a boutique blog too.

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Kathy: I am 46 years old and live on Long Island, New York. I'm married and have two grown children ~ my son is in college and my daughter just had a baby {first for her and first grandchild for us}. We have a 10 year old Siberian Husky named Misty. In addition to my interior decorating business, I have a "day job" and I love to do projects from transforming something with paint and giving it a new life, or creating something new with scrapbook paper and fabric.

SD: How long have you been swapping? How did you first learn about swapping, and what made you decide to start? Do you remember your first one?

K: I only did my first swap this year and that was one hosted by someone else and I just participated. My first swap involved sending along embellishment type items and having a limit of $10.00 on what you purchased.

SD: What is your range of swapping? Do you stick to swaps hosted by people you know or are you likely to swap with anyone, anytime?

K: My first swap was not by someone I know, but I would be more comfortable participating in a swap by a blogger that I am familiar with. I'd like to do an international swap at some point.

SD: Do you swap with any organized groups like yahoo groups, flickr, groups on swap-bot, other message boards, etc? Why or why not?

K: No. I didn't realize they had anything like that, but I'm happy swapping within the blogging community of those that I know and that have the same interests as me.

SD: What's your favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

K: I could just say the one I'm doing now, which is non-specific but just sending "goodies" onto a partner based on their likes from reading their blogs or asking them questions. I am planning a cocktail napkin swap for the beginning of November and and I think that will be a lot of fun.

SD: What do you do to make your packages special?

K: Having joined in only one swap previous to hosting my own, I very much wanted to add some personality to a plain box. I wound up painting and decorating a nice size box that held envelopes; so it offered plenty of room. I decorated it in a way that worked for my swap partner's likes. I also like to throw in some unexpected goody items. Like many swappers, I like the whole package to look pretty, so there is tissue paper inside covering and protecting all the little goodies.

SD: Do you have a good story about hosting or participating in a swap?

K: No, but probably only because I'm still new to it. I do notice that many swaps I've read about, and the one I participated in, show the generosity of bloggers.

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap? Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

K: Hosting my first swap, I knew matching people might present an issue, but it actually worked out well. Making sure you have enough people so everyone has a partner is my main challenge.

No comments: