WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Interview with Ulrike of teufelskruemel

Let's all meet Ulrike, a swapper from Germany who makes adorable handmade goodies like her gnomies! Check out her blog (in german only) and her flickr.

SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you

Ulrike: okay, were to start. I am 29 and mother to two boys (2 yrs and 7 month) which have quite a lot of energy. Our family lives in Germany. Actually, I am engineer and stay home with my kids this year. Crafting is something I do more or less every time since this is just fun and relaxing. Mostly, I am sewing though this will mostly take place in the middle of the night. But I am also a bit painting, printing, making little sculptures or silver jewelry.

SD: How long have you been swapping? How did you first learn about swapping, and what made you decide to start? Do you remember your first one?

U: I am swapping for about 2 years now. The first one was a Christmas swap in a sewing community. I thought it would be fun to join in. It was, so I did some more. I swap quite a lot of totally different handmade items.

Best thing is that some swap partnerships and some friendships developed over time.

SD: What is your range of swapping? Do you stick to swaps hosted by people you know or are you likely to swap with anyone, anytime?

U: A lot of the swaps are only direct swaps just between two persons (e.g. I get knitted socks or handmade soap for a travel bag). I do not always know the people I start swaps with. I join in when the swap itself appeals to me and I think it will be fun to participate. The small swaps are all organized within a dedicated message board or within some sewing communities. At the moment, I am in some swaps on flickr. It is just easier to come together within an organized group and you meet a lot of amazing crafters this way.

I won't swap if I had bad experience with some members and especially if I have not enough time no matter how tempted I am.

SD: What's your favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

U: Difficult. I like all my swaps but especially the ones I am currently in as I have tons of ideas what I could make :)

SD: What do you do to make your packages special?

U: I like work carefully, wrapping my packages nicely as if the were presents, adding some candy and a note to the recipient. The best ones are the baby quilts I swaped since I always add a coordinating handmade rattling owl as a soft toy for the baby.

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of hosting a swap? Any advice for someone who is thinking about hosting a swap?

U: Most challenging for me as a hostess is to find the right time for the swap, for example, it could rather difficult to organize a Christmas swap on short notice in November. Also, if you don't know already a lot of people it might be could to think ahead of time about ways to advertise your swap.

No comments: