WELCOME!
To search for swaps, check out the categories to the right.
The 'current swaps' category shows all swaps with open sign-ups.

Please note the swaps listed are NOT hosted by the SwapDex. Visit each host's site by clicking the underlined link within each post to view further information and sign up.

Hosts:
Please alert me to any new swaps to list or any misinformation regarding a listing!
swapdex{at}gmail{dot}com

Friday, December 12, 2008

Interview with Abbie of The Handmade Quilt


Abbie is one crafty lady! Just check out her blog for the evidence! She's a fantastic quilter, here's a seasonal quilt.
She's also got a shop and another one in the works. And just look at this fantastic quilt with hand embroidered flowers in each solid diamond!


SwapDex: Tell us a bit about you.

Abbie: I am 29 years old, I live in Harpers Ferry, WV, I am a hygienist, but currently staying home. I've stayed home since my youngest was born. I am married to a cop, who is head of the crime scene unit and just finished the forensic science academy---I feel bad for my girls ;) Mother to three children my oldest a boy that's 8 and two girls 2 years and 9 months old. I started with cross-stitch, embroidery when I was in the 6th grade, sewing on and off since the 7th grade. I've been quilting for the past year. I just learned knitting earlier this year at my first stitch & bitch session and would like to pick up crochet--amongst those I have dabbled with scrapbooking, stamping & rug hooking. I've just recently started teaching a quilting and sewing class at one of the Joann's stores along with a class at my local quilt shop and I've just signed up to teach quilting 101 in a city in WV very close to where I live.

SD: How long have you been swapping?

A: I just started swapping early August and I've been hooked ever since. I think I've currently got 10 swaps going on right now!

SD: How did you learn about swapping, and what made you decide to do your first one? Do you remember your first one?

A: I learned just from cruising the blogs. I kept looking at the sidebars and saw swaps and then I would click on it to find out more about the swaps. I always found them too late and could never sign up on time especially my favorite quilting ones. The first one I signed up for was the Scrappy Log Cabin blocks.....that's actually still going on right now and isn't due until January. My second that's already finished was called the Gratitude Swap by Mel Goodsell of One Crafty Mumma.--I met a fantastic lady from Australia who was my swap partner--I did get bit carried away in my swaps and I feel go WAY above and beyond...so shipping came to an extraordinary amount.

SD: Do you swap with any groups? (Swap-bot, yahoo groups, flickr groups, etc.) If so, what do you like/dislike about an more exclusive swapping environment as opposed to a swap open to anyone?

A: I just joined swap-bot,--I'm not liking it as much because a majority of the swaps you had to have a current rating, which with me being a newbie to that group closed many options for me.....so what i did get to sign up for was a ladies only long letter penpal swap.

SD: What's your favorite type of swap or favorite swap you've ever been in or hosted?

A: My favorite swaps are the mini quilts. I've been waiting to join one, but like I said before I was always a day late. I did finally get into one, hosted by the same lady doing the log cabin blocks. I can't wait for this one. it's called the challenge in a bag--where you are to make a mini quilt from the fabrics your partner sends to you.

SD: Do you have a signature style for your swaps? Do you decorate your envelopes/packages? Send a card with a personal note?

A: I think I've started to develop a pattern for my swap....I try to be memorable. For my gratitude, I sent her coffee, lots of fat quarters, yarn, and a handmade cards--we were only to send a sewn notebook holder and include a little something. For the pen pal swaps it was just supposed to be a long letter and maybe a sticker or two, but for one fellow frog lover and who also loved green--i also noticed she collected coins so I just sent her a recently finished quilt and gave her some coins from out of the country. My other letter partner, I read she loved romance novels, so I included a book for her to read.---I like to always give extra not looking for anything back!

SD: What's you favorite type of package to get in the mail?

A: Anything that isn't a bill :) No but seriously I love getting fabrics and patterns I especially love getting hand written personal letters.....we don't get much of that anymore what with the internet and all.

SD: Do you sign up for multiple swaps at one time? If so, what is your maximum number of swaps you will join before telling yourself absolutely NO MORE?

A: I HAVE NO LIMIT. I just counted and I am currently in 14 swaps. :)

SD: What do you think is the most challenging part of participating in a swap?

A: Just for me personally is keeping up with them all and making sure that I fulfill the requirements and get it sent out on time.

SD: Any advice for someone who is a swapping virgin?

A: DO It and have fun! You will definitely meet a lot of nice people in the process :) I have.

Nice people like you, Abbie! Thanks so much for chatting with us!

No comments: